Saturday, June 9, 2018

Event #3 Blog 

Artist of gallery Maru Garcia Background 
For this week’s event I attended the Maru Garcia 'vivarium' opening at the CNSI gallery. This gallery was a bit different from what I expected, I thought to see paintings hung from the walls but when I walked into the room, there were two projector screens one focused on the two domes with living organisms inside, in the middle of the room. At first glance, I thought the domes just had plants but by the corner of my eye I saw a human being inside one of the domes. I was really confused when I saw this person in the dome. I had no idea how this correlated to our class material. After I did some research on the Artist, I noticed her main focus was to interaction between humans and nature. The way she portrayed this interaction was through the correlation between art, science, and technology. 

Me and the main art piece 
This gallery intersects greater with the topics we are currently learning in class. For example, performance artists having live audiences as they performed medical procedures on themselves. (Medicine pt3) This gallery was similar because of the person that was inside the dome and was being filmed showing every move he made. Another correlation I found from this gallery with our class was, the intersection between art and science. Since the beginning of science research, artists have worked closely together with scientists in order to document specific events or organs of the human body. Like artists. who draw pictures related to science, Garcia did exactly the same through her art piece. She showed the interaction humans have with nature. If it wasn’t for those plants the man was eating inside the dome he wouldn’t be able to survive. Just like that person inside the dome we are also inside a dome expect our dome is bigger, our dome is earth.  When I made this correlation about the person inside the dome is a simpler version of us on earth I was fascinated. No one mentioned anything or said a single word yet through that art piece I was able to see the correlation. 

After attending this event, I believe it will help me on my final project. I will be able to use this to show and give a vivid example about the correlation between science, technology, and art, but at the same time relate it to our daily lives since without these three we wouldn’t be able to function as a society. Each of these impacts our daily lives and also keeps everything in balance. I definitely would have recommended this event to my fellow peers. Even though it was something unusual, it definitely changed my perspective, not to judge but instead be open to try new things. All in all, it was a great experience and something I will never forget from my college experience.
            
The second Dome with no one inside 


References

Garcia, Maru. ‘Vivarium’ 10 May 2018, California Neuroscience Institute 5 floor, Los Angeles, CA. Gallery 

Uconlineprogram. Medicine pt3. YouTube. April 22, 2012. Length 21:19

Uconlineprogram. Medicine pt1. YouTube. April 21, 2012. Length 12:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0M2bOM9Tk


No comments:

Post a Comment