Friday, June 8, 2018

Extra Credit Blog #2

Main Art piece  
The last event I attend was “Coyotes in Two Directions”, by artist Sarah Brady which was held in the same room as the exhibit “Virvarium” by artist Maru Garcia. Before I entered the room, I was wondering if it would be something similar to Maru Garcia exhibit. But once I entered I saw something I was not expecting an art piece that would robotically move. I believe one of the main differences from this room that makes all the art pieces look different is the lighting. Lighting has a huge impact on how certain art pieces are shown and the perspective it gives. The center art piece consisted of 6 arms with eagle talons at the end. It would robotically move. I was lucky enough to be able talk to the artist and she gave me some background. Brady said that her inspiration for this piece revolved around eagles and how they fly so high up and dip down so low to catch there pray. This art piece reminded me of Garcia art with the human inside of the dome, these art pieces are very similar in the sense that both of them related to life experiences and consisted of moving parts. 

One thing that I thought connected to this exhibit was biotechnology and art, specifically Eduardo Kats Alba bunny (5bioart pt.1). I felt this art exhibit connected to Alba because they both consisted of real animals which were integrated to art. One used robots as a form of art and the other use gene mutation to make an art piece. Of course, one of these art forms is more acceptable than the other but both were considered art. 
Biotechnology and Art (ALBA) 

My good friend Pam and I 
Attending this event allowed me to see robotic art hands on. I had never seen any art exhibits first hand which were related to robotics, but it was a great experience. This art exhibit allowed me to realize the amount of time and elegance it takes to make it work perfectly. I believe it will help me in wiring my final essay because I can relate It to my main idea about robots in the medical field. Both robots in the medical field and Brady art exhibit show the precession and accuracy robots have working in virous scenarios. I definitely would have recommended this event to my fellow peers to see robotics art hands on. Not only that but the one on one time you could have had interacting with the Brady herself which is rare in many art exhibits now in days. This event is Definity one to remember specially because I was acting like a little kid who had never seen such art pieces. 

References 
Brady, Sarah. “Coyotes in Two Directions” 7 June 2018, California Neuroscience Institute 5 floor, Los Angeles, CA. Gallery. 

Garcia, Maru. ‘Vivarium’ 10 May 2018, California Neuroscience Institute 5 floor, Los Angeles, CA. Gallery 

uconlineprogram. 5 Bioart pt1. YouTube, YouTube, 18 Sept. 2013, Length 15:04.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaThVnA1kyg.

No comments:

Post a Comment